2013 Year Review… Prepare Yourself - it's Emo.
So it’s mid-January and I'm finally writing a 2013 year review... There is much to say. A year ago I was obsessively researching websites for Sweetheart Empire's portfolio. For those of you unfamiliar with the phenomenon of “obsessively researching” I'm talking about Procrastination. I studied all sorts of stuff until finally – for whatever combination of reasons – I snapped out of the fog and took action.
I started even though I felt I wasn’t ready… And everything began to fall into place. A year later I have experienced the following list of awesomeness.
Neither chronologically, nor in order of importance, in 2013 I:
- Launched my own website and had to stand by my work all on my own
- Experienced weeks and months [on and off] of debilitating fear of rejection and failure, self-torture, doubt, excitement, and more fear
- Flew to Las Vegas (first time) alone for eight days, and attended WPPI – the world’s largest wedding photography conference
- Had a portfolio review by José Villa (I was starstruck, and had to concentrate so hard on controlling my facial expression that I almost forgot to listen to the feedback)
- Attended a Jesh de Rox workshop, had my mind blown, and felt that I had found “my people”
- Meditated and worshipped the new moon with belly-dancers, yogis, philosophers, MBA students, and other such wandering souls
- For the first time, a couple booked their wedding date based on my availability (and sent me a delicious babka to boot!)
- Celebrated my mum’s 70th birthday in the same week that I found out my sister was pregnant
- Experienced, from afar, the death of my nana and my uncle
- Had a broken heart
- Faced things about myself that I had been trying to ignore for many years
- Experienced moments of self-acceptance so profound that words couldn’t explain the shocking peace of it
- Relapsed back into judging and then judged myself for being judgmental
- Began to work with some of my favourite photographers in the city, and was astoundingly lucky to learn and grow both professionally and emotionally from this
- Co-produced my first video testimonial
- Photographed my first magazine cover (and spread!)
- Shot my cousin’s incredible wedding in Manhattan, and got to know family members who have lived in Ireland all my life
- Assisted in the delivery of my sister’s beautiful daughter - indescribably life-changing.
- Met several new soul-sisters and reconnected with old ones
- Made many mistakes, stayed up late nights, relapsed into perfectionist-procrastination, doubted my decisions, let down my loved ones, over-booked and over-worked, missed many birthdays, hunched over my computer for too many hours
- Started doing yoga again, dancing more, singing louder in the shower, going for walks around the park, and making green smoothies
- Took another Jesh de Rox workshop and consequently started training in Beloved Technique
- Had my first interview published online
- Made the commitment to only work with people I feel a connection with
- Doubted my commitment and felt scared
- Read Seth’s opinion on choosing who you work for, and felt good again
- Then booked several awesome new clients who I totally feel the connection with!
...and finally, the topic to which this website is dedicated… In 2013:
- I got to know amazing couples who put their faith in me, and allowed me to witness their strengths, vulnerabilities, and unique expressions of love and family.
- And felt so overwhelmingly grateful that there was no appropriately powerful hashtag… so I kept it for myself, in my heart.
No doubt this is the same year most people experienced. Possibly with fewer bouts of neuroses – though really it’s just the "normal" neuroses, I like to think. Anyway, come on - the emotional roller-coaster is pretty okay!
So. Now is not the time to list my resolutions – you're all listed-out for today. But I do hope to start posting some of the many beautiful moments that took place, here on the blog, and I hope you will join me for more adventures this year.
Follow @SweetheartEMP on Instagram to catch a glimpse of the Empire, or just reach out to me and let's have a chat. Happy 2014!